Choosing the best car seat for your baby is not something to take lightly. You need to consider several aspects when choosing the best way to bring your new bundle of joy home.
1. You will want to check your vehicle owner’s manual on where to place a car seat in your vehicle. There are several different ways to secure a car seat in vehicles. Many vehicles allow you to use the latch system, to secure your child’s car seat securely, to your vehicle. They will also most likely recommend you place the car seat in the center of your vehicle, to ensure your child’s safety.
2. You need to choose the best car seat for your child’s height, weight, and age. When you have an infant, a rear facing seat is best for your baby. This is recommended for at least the first 12 to 24 months, or recommended by your car seat manufacturer. The forward facing car seat is not recommended until your child is at least two years old or the top of their head is above the seat. Finally, a booster seat is not recommended until your child is at least 40 pounds or approximately eight years old. The booster seat is designed to keep the shoulder belt in place, until your child can sit in the seat properly.
3. Know how much room is in your back seat will help when choosing a car seat. If you have a smaller back seat, you may opt for a narrower base. You will find there are several different types of car seat stores in Toronto that will have options for you to choose from.
4. Select a car seat that is easy for you to install. The instructions should be easy to understand and provide a helpful illustrations or detailed instructions for any part that is more complicated. In addition, you may want to get your car seat inspected by a professional before you bring baby home to ensure you have installed the car seat correctly.
5. Having adjustable straps that are easy for you to access is an important feature to consider. Being able to adjust the straps, as your baby grows, will make things easier for you. Having an efficient way to adjust the straps will make getting them into and out of the car seat easier.
6. You will want to send in the registration card that comes with the car seat. Sending in the registration card allows the manufacturer to contact you, in case there are any flaws in the car seat later. You should also keep the receipt to show when you actually purchased the car seat, as well as the box it comes in, if you have room.
7. Know the laws where you live. There are many different laws depending upon where you live. Additionally, depending upon the age and size of your child, you may need to keep them in a car seat or booster seat until they are over eight years old. Take the time to look up the current laws for your area, or ask for advice at your Toronto car seat stores, will help you when making your choice.
For more information or assistance in choosing the best car seat for your new infant or toddler, please feel free to visit our baby store in Toronto or call Apple Babies today at 416-546-8483.