Changing the décor of the rooms in your home to bring in the warm, bright, and exciting colours of summer indoors can give your home a new look and feel. When decorating your home for the summer, it is important to take into consideration how your changes are going to affect your baby or toddler. Just make sure to pay more closely to your desired changes and plans before getting started.
There are many affordable changes you can make without risks to your baby or toddler. It is also beneficial to get your children and little ones involved, if old enough, in the planning process, especially for their bedrooms, play room, and other areas of the home. Some of these can also be quite fun learning experiences for your young one, too!
1. Start an indoor garden. You can add greenery indoors by planting a small herb garden or growing you favourite vegetables. Plus, you can have your little one help plant the seeds, remind you to water the plants, and get excited as the plants start to grow. If gardening is not your thing, you can still liven up the indoors by planting different types of flowers in a wide range of lively colours.
2. Living Room – Add a new rug in a colour that fits with your theme or one that incorporates the bright colours of summer. For sofas and chairs, pick up some fabric in a bright colour and make covers to go over the existing cushions.
3. Bedroom – Simply swapping out your bedding, including your sheets, pillow cases, and duvet cover for a different set in a summertime pattern or theme will brighten up the room.
4. Baby/Children’s Bedrooms – You can also swap out their bedding for bright summertime colours. If they are old enough, allow them to select their new sheets and other items for their room.
5. Dining Room – Get a new tablecloth and placemats to go with your summer theme. You could also pick up glasses and dishes in bright colours to extend the theme into mealtimes. For kids, there are many kid-friendly coloured dishes and glasses, too.
6. Windows – Hang up some brightly coloured drapes to bring more light into the room. If you have blinds, consider swapping them out for a different colour, as there are numerous ones to choose from, if you want to customize your blinds. Remember to anchor blinds in place to keep them safe around kids.
7. Walls – Hang up lively decorative prints on the walls in the different rooms in your home. There are also removable vinyl decals you could use on the walls if you want to change the colour or add outdoor elements, like palm trees, without having to paint the walls. Another fun thing to do is to do painted hand and foot prints on the walls in different rooms of the home. Make sure to choose a safe non-toxic paint.
For all of your summertime kid-friendly products and accessories, feel free to stop by Apple Babies, your baby specialty store in Toronto today or call us at 416-546-8483!