Taking your baby, toddler, or other young children outside during the winter is a great time for them to be able to enjoy the fun wintertime activities, like building a snowman, learning how to ice skate, or even joining a junior hockey league!
Before heading outside, it is important to make sure you are well prepared by following these useful tips and suggestions:
1. Check the weather forecast. Find out what the current temperature is outside, the wind chill, and what to expect during your outing. If it is extremely cold outside, never take your child outdoors for an extended period of time as they could get frost bite.
2. Outfit your stroller with a weather shield. If you have little ones that ride in a stroller, getting a weather shield from our baby specialty store in Toronto will help block out the wind and provide an added layer of protection against the cold. The weather shields also work great on rainy days to keep your baby or toddler dry!
3. Make sure to dress in layers. Dressing in layers helps protect your child from overexposure to the cold. However, make sure to peel off layers once they get outside and start playing because their bodies will heat up and if they have on too many layers, they could experience heat exhaustion.
4. Don’t forget the hats, gloves, and scarves. Protecting your little one’s fingers, ears, and face from the cold. If they resist wearing these items, turn it into a game with a reward, like telling them that whoever leaves their hats, gloves, and scarves on the longest will win and surprise once we get home. For the reward, it could a cup of hot chocolate with extra marshmallows and their favourite treat or being allowed to watch an episode of their favourite program.
5. Limit the amount of time spent outside with schedule breaks. As adults, our bodies resist the cold better than babies, toddlers, and young children. As such, you will want to limit the length of time spent outside and bring them in every so often to warm up before redressing to go back out and play some more. A good schedule to use during the winter is to go outside for about an hour before lunchtime, come back in, peel off the layers, eat lunch, take a short nap, and then spend about another hour outside in the afternoon.
By following these tips you and your child are sure to have a great time enjoying wintertime activities outdoors! Feel free to stop by Apple Babies today for assistance in selecting the best weather shield for your stroller and to check out our wide selection of baby and toddler products or call us at 416-546-8483 for directions to our store.