1. Making your family a priority is one of the most important things you will ever do as a new father. After many years looking back you will never regret spending that extra time with your children and partner. You won’t regret not having worked longer hours at the office. However, the time you spent simply watching your baby sleep will be time well spent. Enjoy this time to hang out at home and simply do nothing with your family while you can.
2. Play as much as you possibly can. Nothing is more fun than playing with your baby and watching all your tension leaving from your long day. This is also a great way to help forge a trusting and positive relationship with your baby.
3. Be extra patient, communicative, and supportive with your partner. After birth, hormones continue to flow and giving birth can be traumatic. If there is ever a time when your baby’s mom needs you to be understanding and available for her it would be now, so be there and be as supportive as you possibly can be.
4. Your baby is portable and you should take advantage of this before they become mobile. Do not be afraid to take your baby with you this is great bonding time and stimulation is good for kids, and babies make great adventure partners. Also when you have a baby you will get all the attention for baby care.
5. Try not to schedule too much in one day. When you have a baby everything will take twice as long so remember to be flexible and everything will go well.
6. Talk to other new dads about their experiences and yours. Mothers have several different groups but many dads don’t seem to. You can simply call it a guy’s night out and find what works for them and what didn’t, you might even find new tricks that work great for you.
7. When you have medical questions about your baby call your pediatrician, but do not panic. Babies are much sturdier than you think, so try not to worry too much.
8. While you are taking care of your partner you also need to take care of yourself. Keep an eye on your driving, your risk taking, and your diet. Remember your baby needs you for a long time, being a healthy dad is one of the greatest gifts you can give your baby.
9. When things get tough take a break. There will be moments when everything goes wrong and you haven’t slept in days, the baby is crying, your partner is crying, and the milk is boiling over. First turn the stove off, go outside and take as many deep breaths as you need before going back inside. You and your partner will be grateful you did.
10. Listen to advice, consult the experts, read all the books, but above all follow your instincts. No one knows your baby better than you and your partner.
For the latest products and baby items for your new bundle of joy, stop by Toronto’s baby specialty store, Apple Babies, or call us at 416-546-8483. Remember to check out our new online baby registry for expectant parents!